St Joseph’s is a Hall-type Church, built in 1835. It was originally built by Rev James McDonnell, and was opened on the 18th of September 1835 with Rev Dr. McKiernan the Bishop of Clogher, Blessing and Dedicating the new Church. Members of the local Protestant community contributed towards its construction and a number attended the opening ceremony. The Church was originally known as St Mary’s, and later changed to St Joseph’s.
The Bell Tower was added c. 1886, built by Jas. Monaghan. (Date shield incised with ‘AD 1886 Jas. Monaghan Builder’ on front of tower)
It was extended/altered c. 1909, by Messrs Clarence, Ballisodare Co Sligo. Other refurbishments and additions included a Santuary, Side Chapels, a Sacristy, Nuns Choir and Baptistery. A new marble Altar was erected by Messrs. Pearse & Son Dublin who had previously erected the marble Communion Railing.
The Architect was Thomas Francis McNamara, who also did work in Our Lady Star of the Sea Church in Bundoran.